Thursday, July 27, 2006

Tears and Truth

Revelation 7:13-17

13Then one of the elders asked me, "These in white robes—who are they, and where did they come from?" 14I answered, "Sir, you know." And he said, "These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. 15Therefore, "they are before the throne of God and serve him day and night in his temple; and he who sits on the throne will spread his tent over them. 16Never again will they hunger; never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them, nor any scorching heat. 17For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

-------------------
If you are filled with a sense of hopelessness, with tears as your daily bread, how do you read a passage like this one?

Do we take the word of God at its word? Or, is it another way to despair? I mean, waiting for God to wipe away every tear from your eyes, well, you’re waiting to die, aren’t you? And, in the mean time, what about this life? When your heart still stubbornly beats. And, the tears hardly stop. Will any of this ever really happen?

Do you just count on death as a release to this Paradise promised?

I read these words as a believer. A believer in a desolate, parched place, but a believer, nonetheless. Having known the Lord Jesus Christ all these years, I know I have found in Him a love that will not let me go. It hasn’t yet. I get the feeling in won’t. Why? Because this love has kept seeking me, even when I lost my way. It has kept calling my name, even when I turned my back. It has kept restoring my soul, even when it is resolutely downcast. It has been tender, even when I have been harsh. It has redeemed me from the pit, even when I had no hope of coming out.

When my faith falters, I compel myself to remember the steadfast love of the Lord, even when all around me says otherwise.

I think this is what the writer of Lamentations meant when He cries:
“13 He pierced my heart with arrows from his quiver. 17 I have been deprived of peace; I have forgotten what prosperity is. 18 So I say, "My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the LORD."19 I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. 20 I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. 21 Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: 22 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. 23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." 25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; 26 it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. 29 Let him bury his face in the dust—there may yet be hope.”

I say, “I compel myself,” but I don’t think that’s entirely true. I think it is His grace that gently pushes me in that direction. He demonstrates His love and grace in our darkest moments. He reminds us of His steadfast love. We need to see it, though, even if it is barely a sliver of a moon in a dark sky; to hear it, even if it is a whisper in deafening thunder, or howling wind. He does not force His way in. But, neither does He forsake us. We learn this, I think, especially in desolation and isolation. He is the shepherd, who leads us to springs of living water, even in the parched places.

It might be through words of Scripture; it might be through the words of someone you love and trust, or even a prophetic stranger; it might be through the words of a book or devotional you’re reading; it might be through the rising or setting sun; it might be through a hot wind or a cool breeze; it might be through silvery-blue waters against black, chiseled rock; it might be through flowers and trees; it might be through birds; it might be through a song, or a hymn; it might be through the full moon, or the early morning sun breaking through the clouds; it might be through an unexpected reason to smile and celebrate, if only briefly; it might be through simple pleasures of life more keenly appreciated; it might be through a garden that blooms in desert; it might be through good news of God’s work in a far away land; it might be through a sense of peace – however fleeting – that passes all understanding; it might be through the presence of loved ones; it might be through relationships restored; it might be at night when your disturbed soul is calmed, and your tears stilled, even though there is no human being there to wipe them.

In other words, look for God's shepherding in the apparently ordinary details of your daily life. God is there. God is present. God is active. God is redeeming and restoring. Look for a miracle. It happens. It's not always the parting of the Red Sea. It might well be a common, but life-saving technological marvel that would have strained Moses' belief. God is close to the broken hearted. Even in the darkest moments, when it seems that He is not. I have found that to be true. I have found Jesus to be true. If you don’t know that already, take a chance on Him.

He's worth it. To know Him is to love Him, as He first loves you with a love that will not let you go.

I read this passage from Revelation, and I see a God revealed fully in Jesus Christ His son: One who is worthy of worship, one who actively protects us, a shepherd who guides to refresh us, one who is intimate and tender with us. I see the irony in His ways that are not our ways – robes in need of washing are washed in blood; soiled robes are made white because they are washed in the blood of the Lamb (Jesus). I see there are things that will remain mystery, when I will have to say, with all humility, “Sir, you know.” In other words, I really haven’t a clue. I just don't know. I see that God’s vision is to bring people out of great tribulation and to fill them up and protect them, and…

…wipe away every tear Himself.

I love that image! Don’t you? I’m going to hold on to it.

This Biblical passage reveals that there is a “coming out of” great tribulation. It doesn’t say who these people are, or where they came from.

It could be you and me.

I certainly don’t have all the answers. These words of Scripture don't make it all clear or make "tribulation" history. But, they do offer hope, don't they? And, I have found in knowing God, that He does not deceive, He does not lead you to dead ends and sinking sands. I’m counting on the fact that what I have learned about Him all these years is true: that He is faithful. I believe it to be true. I’m not expecting to wake up to a tearless morn. Far from it. Yet, having experienced the love of God, I am compelled to believe His word. There is some stubborn, hopeful part of me that will not give up on Jesus Christ, whom I have decided to follow, and who has proved that He loves me with a love will not let me go. So, I will my feeble self to hope in Him and count on Him – in this life and the next.

Because, even in these dark days, I have experienced His grace, His love, His forgiveness and His strength. Like countless others now and through the ages, I have found this Holy, Almighty God, fully revealed in His son Jesus Christ, my Lord, to be my loving, tender, protective, faithful and trustworthy savior.

And you will, too.

Amen.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so full of tears, and yet so full of faith, Ruth. It makes me think the two depend on each other in some way. Is it only when we lie stretched out on the "dirt floor basement of our hearts" (BBT) that God can come and help us to our feet? Is it only then that we will let him?

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home