Monday, February 06, 2006

Read the Book!

1 Timothy 3: 14-17

14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it, 15 and how from childhood you have known the sacred writings that are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work.

-------------

Yesterday I asked, “What does the Lord need me to do?” That was a quick response!

He knows that I have fallen away from the practice of reading Scripture, of abiding in the Word. “Continue in what you have learned and firmly believed,” He says, gently, as is His way with sinners. “This is what I need you to do,” He seems to be saying to me.

I did “firmly believed” – until recently.

I have not walked away from the faith, but I have surely stumbled, and my belief has slipped, almost drowned in despair. Here, the Lord seems to be saying to me “Continue, my child…” The Scriptures have instruction for my salvation, though faith in Christ Jesus. It is where I find my training. It is how I become proficient in the ways of God, and equipped for God’s work, which is always good.

I am one of the fortunate ones. Much like Timothy, this faith has been mine since my childhood. I have been weaned on these ‘sacred writings.” My mother, my grandmother, my grandfather and marvelous Christian witnesses that God has sent my way have taught me well. At every stage of my faith journey, they have proved trustworthy in their instruction. My grandfather, for example, used to quote verse sixteen to me, to underscore the importance of reading Scripture. So, I’ve come this far, carried on the firm shoulders of many God-given saints, though they would not see themselves that way.

On my resume, I list a proficiency in French. I have sometimes wondered what my faith resume would look like. I have nothing to boast to God. I could not confidently take my faith resume and go to Jesus Christ for a Kingdom job. Yet, He comes to me with a job vacancy – just for me! He comes to me! He hasn’t even asked to see my resume! His grace is sufficient! He seems to be saying, “You’ve already got the job. Stop trying to pad your resume. You’ve already got what you need. Continue in it. You have the instruction manual. Don’t throw it away. I’m going to equip you for my work with my word.”

Do you hear Him, too?

Do you stand convicted, as I do, as someone who had cast aside the Scriptures, in anger, in disbelief, in disappointment, in despair, in disobedience, in busyness? If you are, then we are being charged to “continue” in the Scriptures. Paul’s charge to Timothy echoes what the Lord says to us: “Don’t give up on the word of God. Continue. Persevere in it. There you will find instruction for your salvation, through faith in me.”

You can count on what God says, even when you can’t count on your faith.

----------

Dear Lord,

Forgive me for discarding your word. Forgive me for forsaking your instruction. Forgive me for nullifying your grace. Thank you that I can count on you, even when I cannot count on my faith. Thank you for reminding me of my faith inheritance. Help me continue on that path. You are the Way. You are the Word become flesh. Thank you for speaking to me, even when I didn’t want to speak to you, or listen to you.

Speak, Lord, your servant is listening.

In Jesus Christ my Savior’s name, I pray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home