Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Who's Coming?

Matthew 24: 32-44

32 "From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So also, when you see all these things, you know that he is near, at the very gates. 34 Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away. 36 "But about that day and hour no one knows, neither the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 For as the days of Noah were, so will be the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For as in those days before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark, 39 and they knew nothing until the flood came and swept them all away, so too will be the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Then two will be in the field; one will be taken and one will be left. 41 Two women will be grinding meal together; one will be taken and one will be left. 42 Keep awake therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. 43 But understand this: if the owner of the house had known in what part of the night the thief was coming, he would have stayed awake and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an unexpected hour.

---------------------------

Have you ever longed with all your heart to see someone again? Have you ever thought that you would just die if you didn’t see someone again? If so, wouldn’t your heart soar to unimaginable heights to know that you will, even if it meant waiting…a long time.

When is this true? Only when you are apart from someone you know and love and want to be with; someone with whom you already have a deep, loving and committed relationship; someone you knew loved you and would do anything for you.

If, however, the relationship were a bad one, then you’d dread a reunion of any sort. If it were a lukewarm one, you would just get on with your life; go your separate ways. But, if your lives are already completely bound in heart, mind, body and soul, well, then the idea of moving on with your life doesn’t even arise.

Now, you can only have that kind of relationship with someone you spend a lot of time with, getting to know that person more and more intimately. A beloved spouse, for example.

So, as I think about Jesus' Second Coming I wonder, “What kind of relationship do I have with Jesus while He is physically away? Do I know Him intimately? Am I purposefully preparing for our reunion?

The truth is, I’ve been giving Him too little of my time.

Jesus goes on about the End Times (through the whole chapter), describing it in dramatic ways, talking about the return of the Son of Man. It’s fantastic. It’s frightening. It’s unimaginable. And, Jesus says, its timing is unknown to anyone but the Father. So, divining the time of the Second Coming is a waste of our time.

Here’s what’s not a waste of time: Working on a relationship with the Son of Man, so that when He does come back – and He is coming – He will return as your Lord.

Did you catch that? You could almost miss it. As Jesus talks about the Son of Man’s return, He suddenly throws in this line: "Keep awake therefore, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming."

Is He your Lord?

He certainly is “the Son of Man” who will come in glory, and at whose name every knee shall bow. But, is He your Lord? Do you have a personal relationship with Him? Do you even know Him? He cannot be your Lord, if you don’t know Him. Like any relationship, it takes time, it takes listening -- and giving oneself. For the real thing, it involves heart, mind, soul and strength.

And when you know Him, you know He isn’t a thief that you want to lock out. I think Jesus sets up this illustration as a deliberate and striking contrast to who He is: One who loves us, and wants to give us life abundantly. Not one who steals from us.

Still, His coming could be terrifying if you don’t know Him. But, when you do…ah, that’s a different story. All the time that you are waiting, you’d be getting ready for the reunion. It would just be the way you live. The way things were.

When your Lord, your beloved, was at the gates, wild horses couldn’t keep you from running to Him. You’d be so ready for His arrival.

Who is the Son of Man to you?

-----------------------------

Dear Lord,

Forgive me that I have been negligent in spending time with you. I know you love me. And, I want to be ready. I want to receive you with open arms, tears in my eyes, saying “My Lord! I have been waiting so long for you, my beloved.”

Help me know you like that.

In Jesus my Lord’s name I pray.

Amen

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post. It feels so intimate, and the anticipation of "the one who comes" is so strong. Makes me wish I was the one coming, or the one waiting. Makes me wish I had a relationship like that. Thank you.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home